Strange blog post title huh? Probably wondering what one has to do with the other? Let me start with a little story…..
The other night I was talking on the phone with my Granny, which I do a couple times a day, it was late and I just called to say “goodnight”. While talking I yawned, guess what happened a couple seconds later, you guessed it ~ she yawned. Then I yawned again…….as we continued to talk we passed that yawn back and forth at least a dozen times. Yawns are contagious! It happens when you are around someone who yawns or even over the phone.
So this brings me back to my title “Smiles & Yawns”…Smiles are contagious TOO! Smiles are so many wonderful things including Contagious. This blog is all about doing things, being proactive, to make your day/days good. Anything good, I have found, is worth working for. Maybe some people have one great day after the other, more power to them., I am not one of those people. I have a wonderful life and all that, but each individual day is its own challenge for me. I want to have a good day. I want to MAKE it a good day. Sometimes my most challenging days, the ones that I am working all day to MAKE It good, not to let whatever is going on, dictate my day or more my Attitude about my day, not to give anything THAT much power. And yes, I am not ashamed to admit, some days it is way more work than others. I am human, have kids that have their “moments” , have a husband who I love to death, but not always a bed of roses, really close, more like daisies,lol, anyway, I am what I feel is normal. I do have days when I feel like, gosh this is just a bad day, then I remember the whole, letting something have that much power thing, and the stubborn gal I am, that is not the way it is gonna end. So here are a couple things I am finding, I am not going to write ‘that I have found” because I am no expert, and I am using these little tips myself. I am practicing what I preach so to speak….some day I even need to come back and reread my own words. My first tip is SMILE!
SMILE~ I write it on a lot of e-mails, tweets (posts on twitter), letters, I write it often! Many would think I am a smiley happy person sitting here spreading my smile, not so much, more I am reminding myself- maybe passing on my reminder so someone else. I even have the word “SMILE” as my screen saver on my computer……big and green, bouncing around the screen ~ SMILE. I have noticed that when you smile it is hard to be mad, hard to stay “pissy”, and hard to say your are having a bad day with a smile on your face. Try it sometime, smile, really smile, not one of those cheesy smiles, smile deep, so it shows through your eyes, and say” This is a bad day”. Granted, it can be said like that, but you are gonna feel silly.
Smiles are contagious, I have several friends that always have a smile on their face and they make me want to smile, not sure why I want to smile but I do. Okay let me take it one step further, I have three that I can think of, friends on twitter who’s avatar (little picture that comes with their post) is of them with the most inviting, prettiest smiles I have seen, and EVERY TIME they post and I see their smiles come across my screen I wanna smile. I call them my smiley friends, they should know right off if they read this who they are, and everyones Smiley friends are probably different, but we all have one, or more hopefully. See their smile is contagious through the computer screen. In fact, it is often taught during training for phone jobs/interviews and whatnot that a smile can be heard over the phone. And it is true, you can pick up a lot from a persons tone of voice and whatnot, including a smile.
A few interesting things I found out about smiles for this post (also found it interesting, that I have had this post in my mind for several days and today there where several news clips and a study that came out in some journal~ medical I think, about this same topic- one even was about your neighbors happiness affecting your happiness ~ even if you were not friends). Okay to a few interesting things about smiles….~~~~~
- This is an interesting article on About.com about how smiling is directly related to the longevity of your life. Gives “Top 10 Reasons To Smile” by Mark Stibich, Ph. D……# 10 is directly related to my post (#10 Smiling Helps You Stay Positive) http://longevity.about.com/od/lifelongbeauty/tp/smiling.htm
- This is a cute wikihow article on How TO Smile ~ sense we didn’t cover how to smile ~JUST WHY! http://www.wikihow.com/Smile
- And here are some of my favorite Quotes on Smiles (found at Quote Garden a great site for quotes of any kind~~ http://www.quotegarden.com/smiles.html )
- A smile is an inexpensive way to change your looks. ~Charles Gordy
- A smile is the light in the window of your face that tells people you’re at home. ~Author Unknown
- Life is like a mirror, we get the best results when we smile at it. ~Author Unknown
- Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles. ~George Eliot
- If you don’t start out the day with a smile, it’s not too late to start practicing for tomorrow. ~Author Unknown
- Smiling is infectious,
You can catch it like the flu.
Someone smiled at me today,
And I started smiling too.
- So SMILE if not for you for others, before long it will help you no matter what your reason for doing it to begin with. Smile and Yawns are contagious, one is usually more welcomed than the other. Ha ha. Now that you know all this doesn’t it make you wanna smile, try it, it just might work for you too, and make you live longer, and help someone else smile too!
Make It A Good Day! SMILE!